29.3.11

Gardeners against cuts



I don't really want to get into politics in this blog. Unless it has something to do with gardening of course. But I did happen to be on a certain demonstration march on Saturday in central London (and for the record, it wasn't me throwing tables through the windows of the Ritz).

While strolling slowly through Picadilly, this incredible green wall caught my eye. I've not seen it before as it's in a swanky part of London I don't visit very much. The photos don't really do it justice; at 8 stories high, it's absolutely massive. Looking directly up at it is like having the opposite of vertigo - you feel as if you're looking out across a flat green field, not directly up. Very disconcerting.

What's more, the plants (few of which I recognised - apart from a couple of Euphorbias and a rogue Fatsia Japonica) all seem to be thriving - god knows how they water it. I've just looked it up, and it was designed by botanist turned green wall proponent Patrick Blanc

The man has style.







2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe something so technologically challenging and maintenance intensive will continue to grow in popularity. But I certainly could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for looking in James. I agree - they look like a lot of work. I don't think I'd be able to keep one alive for long on my wall. They do look cool though.

    ReplyDelete